Monday, June 27, 2011

God's Love Language




This last Saturday we hiked Billy Goat Trail, on the gorge of the Potomac River's Great Falls. One of our conversations was centered on the way God speaks to us. I shared how fantastic it is to belong to a church like Cedarbrook, where we are encouraged to serve God with our passions. We were speaking about the ways in which God speaks to us through nature. I shared my frog love story and the pictures above are of that season in my life (the real deal!). I was going through a dark valley, depression was robbing all joy, hopelessness was creeping in... I sought God's presence daily by going out in the early morning to journal, pray, read and just soak in the outdoors. Several personal reasons, including past willful sin, had brought me to this place of despair. As a believer, I knew God was the answer, but other than praying and confessing, I didn't know how to get myself out of this pit. That's when, while walking around peeking to see what was blooming, I noticed these lovely, tiny, little frogs inside my day-lilies.  I had always loved frogs but had never seen such tiny creatures here in the USA. Every morning that Summer, when I went outside to soak God and nature in, my little friends were there speaking God's love to me. Daily God reassured me of His love and forgiveness. Daily the presence of Jesus was felt when we spent time together. Those same tiny green frogs never came back to my garden. Other beautiful ones have graced our living throughout the last several years but none so vibrant as the ones God used to minister healing and forgiveness to me that season.
Well, soon after we had this conversation (less words used on the trail), Rossio calls out: "Come here Edi!! Look!! And there before our eyes, just out of one of the many nurseries along the river, were hundreds of these tiniest of tiniest little frogs!!! All hopping and causing the illusion that the ground was moving, these little frogs were the unspoken words of God saying: "Don't you people EVER doubt how much I love you. Marvelous is our God, the Almighty, El Shaddai who gave Jesus, His only SON, to die and bring healing and forgiveness. Mighty is our God, who does not hesitate to speak "frog" to us, if that is the way we hear "I love you"!!   I could go on and on sharing how His embrace comes in many different forms. What brings yet more fascination to this love story is the fact that our ONE and ONLY God took that private moment he and I had shared, wonderfully multiplied it, and made it a G2 moment!! Awe struck we all continued on and decided more moments like that can be shared with even more folks if we continue to hike and soak in God's beauty next G2 season!
BTW, I got home dehydrated, took a nap and woke up sick. My husband came in from the garden calling: "Come here Edi! Look!" And if you have not yet guessed it, In his hands he had a tiny, tiny little frog to share with me!!! Even my husband talks "frog" to me and says I love you in the simplest of ways...


Psalm 19

1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
   the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
   night after night they reveal knowledge.
3 They have no speech, they use no words;
   no sound is heard from them.
4 Yet their voice[b] goes out into all the earth,
   their words to the ends of the world.

Always be Thankful!!!

No comments: